Increasingly, general counsel, management and boards of directors confront claims of alleged wrongdoing, ethical violations or other forms of misconduct on the part of the company, its employees or agents. Whether these allegations are leveled by a whistleblower, shareholder or employee, or are identified through a compliance program or regulatory inquiry, our lawyers are ready to assist.
We conduct prompt and diligent investigations of the claims and issues at play, and offer advice and counsel to management, boards of directors, and board committees regarding what occurred and next steps. Our investigations routinely require the resolution of complex factual issues and involve local, national and, in some cases, international components. Some of these investigations have included:
- Investigation of insurance company regarding accounting treatment for insurance products.
- Investigation of utility company regarding claims of environmental contamination and bidding practices.
- Investigation of financial services company concerning financial disclosures and corporate governance.
- Investigations of numerous types of alleged misconduct by employees in the course of their employment.
- Investigation of public official concerning alleged violations of campaign-financing laws.
- Investigation of alternative energy company concerning facilitation of transactions in an alleged violation of sanctions regime.
- Investigation for energy company concerning joint venture partner and anti-corruption concerns.
- Investigation of technology company regarding sales of software.
- Investigation of company regarding suspected embezzlement by employees.
Consistent with our team’s experience in numerous investigations and related matters, the firm has been appointed, amoung other things, as monitor of a large healthcare company in connection with Medicaid and Medicare practices. The detailed work required there has drawn upon and enhanced the group’s investigative capabilities.