2L Diversity Fellowship Program
Investing in Our Future
Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values of Day Pitney. The firm is committed to increasing diverse representation, promoting equity and fostering an inclusive work environment. We believe people of diverse skills, opinions, perspectives, backgrounds, lifestyles, ideas, thinking and knowledge make us a stronger, more productive law firm. Day Pitney is committed to fostering a professional workplace where opportunities are available to all. We continue to provide challenging opportunities, meaningful guidance and positive incentives to assist our professionals in achieving their full potential. In doing so, our goal is to create advantages from our differences and to achieve richer, broader and more innovative results for our clients.
2L Diversity Fellowships
As part of our commitment to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in the legal profession, Day Pitney established the Day Pitney 2L Diversity Fellowship Program to enhance the recruitment, development and retention of attorneys with a demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in the legal profession, including a commitment to the career advancement of law students and attorneys from historically underrepresented backgrounds and challenging socioeconomic backgrounds. Day Pitney's 2L Diversity Fellowship Program provides $15,000 awards* (less any applicable withholdings) to a select number of qualified and deserving second-year law students to help cover law school expenses in addition to offering a salaried position in our Summer Associate Program.
* The $15,000 award is contingent upon the student receiving and accepting an offer to join Day Pitney's Summer Associate Program and receiving and accepting an offer to join the firm as a full-time associate following law school graduation. The firm will pay the first half of the award ($7,500) upon completion of the Summer Associate Program and acceptance of a full-time offer to join the firm as a first-year associate. The firm will pay the second half of the award ($7,500) with the fellow's first paycheck upon the start of employment as a first-year associate following law school graduation. Applicants are not eligible if they were awarded a similar diversity award from another law firm for the same period.
To be eligible for consideration for Day Pitney's 2L Diversity Fellowship Program, applicants must be full-time second-year law students enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school with an expected spring graduation date the following year. Applicants must demonstrate:
- exceptional academic achievement and leadership qualities;
- significant engagement in diversity organizations and contributions to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in the legal profession;
- commitment to community service and serving clients in need, such as pro bono work;
- diverse backgrounds, interests, work and life experiences and perspectives that will strengthen our practices;
- excellent communication skills;
- U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States; and
- interest in joining Day Pitney as an associate after law school graduation.
How to Apply
To apply, please sign up for on-campus interviews through your law school's career placement office and complete our online application. If we do not recruit on-campus at your law school, please complete our online application to apply to both our 2024 Summer Associate and 2L Diversity Fellowship Program.
All candidates must complete our online application and include a resume, law school transcript and written statement of the candidate's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion using the prompt provided. Any candidate applying to Day Pitney's Summer Associate Program through your law school's on-campus interview program or job fair, please consider this an addendum to your application rather than a substitute. For candidates applying from law schools where Day Pitney does not visit on-campus, the submission of this application will be for both a 2L Summer Associate and a 2L Diversity Fellowship.
To learn more about our Summer Associate Program, click here.
If you have questions or need further information, please contact:
Day Pitney Recruiting Team
Download the 2L Diversity Fellowship Program Brochure here.