In addition to our specific areas of experience, lawyers on the White Collar Defense and Investigations team have also represented corporate clients and individuals in criminal actions of all types and natures. This work has included the vigorous defense of actions brought by the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., many United States Attorneys’ Offices, and numerous state and local prosecutors. Our experience extends as well to the defense of criminal and regulatory actions arising under the False Claims Act, including claims related to services provided by companies under government contract.
As criminal fines and penalties continue to rise and as federal and state prosecutors train their focus on individuals, the stakes in criminal matters have never been higher. Lawyers in our group, including former federal and state prosecutors and a former United States Attorney, have the depth of experience and insight critical to mounting an effective defense. A few of the group’s general criminal matters have included:
- Defense of criminal and regulatory False Claims Act investigations.
- Defense of criminal actions alleging violations of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Defense of criminal action alleging bank fraud and money laundering.
- Defense of individuals in matters alleging political corruption.
- Defense of individuals in matters alleging FCPA violations.
- Defense of companies in an action alleging environmental violations.
- Defense of criminal action alleging violations in the firearms industry.
- Defense of criminal action alleging fraud in the mortgage industry.
- Advice to companies in connection with embezzlement.
- Advice to companies and individuals in responding to grand jury subpoenas, testifying in the grand jury and testifying at trial in variety of matters.
- Advice to companies in responding to the execution of search warrants.
For companies and individuals who find themselves a target, subject or witness in a government investigation or prosecution, lawyers in the White Collar Defense and Investigations group, with decades of experience in all facets of criminal law, are poised to help.