John Vukelj represents corporate and individual clients in complex business litigation, internal investigations and corporate compliance and governance matters. Through more than 15 years of practice, he has become a trusted advisor to clients operating in the financial services, technology, energy, pharmaceutical, and media and entertainment industries. A significant part of John's practice involves helping foreign clients of all sizes navigate the U.S. legal environment.
In his litigation practice, John represents clients in commercial disputes, securities class actions, shareholder derivative actions, mergers and acquisitions litigation, RICO actions, and enforcement actions by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). He has experience in federal and state trial and appellate practice.
In his investigations and compliance practice, John helps clients with Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), insider trading and corporate governance matters. He represents companies and individuals in investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, the SEC and other federal and state agencies. He also helps companies design, enhance and implement compliance programs and he has trained directors, officers and top executives on these issues.
John is committed to doing meaningful pro bono work. He has worked on criminal sentencing, voting, disability, education, housing, and veteran benefits matters. For several years, he worked on a Kosovo rule of law project, in which he helped establish Kosovo's post-war judicial and prosecutorial systems and train Kosovar ministry of justice attorneys.
- Represented leading companies and their top executives in securities fraud class actions and related shareholder derivative actions alleging false and misleading statements to investors
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of fraud allegations brought by the SEC against hedge fund and its executives
- Represented a leading distributor of health products and members of its board of directors, in defense of multiple class action suits seeking to enjoin merger
- Represented leading insurers in D&O liability insurance coverage disputes
- Represented a bank regulatory agency as intervenor-defendant in an action brought against the assuming bank under a purchase and assumption agreement by the failed bank's bondholders
- Represented global energy companies in high-value fraud, RICO, breach of contract, and fraudulent transfer lawsuits
- Represented an investment fund based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in connection with a federal lawsuit asserting claims to assets frozen as a result of OFAC sanctions pertaining to Syria
- Represented technology companies in litigation concerning software development and implementations
- Represented a transnational company in mass tort litigation relating to the cleanup and construction efforts at the World Trade Center following the attacks of September 11, 2001
Investigations and Compliance
- Assisted Senator George J. Mitchell in his investigation into the alleged use of performance-enhancing substances in Major League Baseball (MLB) and helped prepare Senator Mitchell's report to the Commissioner of Baseball with respect to that investigation
- Conducted internal reviews for global companies regarding OFAC sanctions and FCPA issues and interfacing with government enforcement officials
- Represented global companies in developing and implementing global sanctions compliance programs
- Represented a global financial institution in insider trading investigations by the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York and the SEC
- Represented NYSE-traded Chinese company and delivered compliance training to directors, officers and executives on disclosure requirements, insider trading rules, corporate governance and FCPA issues
- Represented securities valuation consultant in connection with DOJ and SEC investigations into allegations concerning hedge fund's valuation methodology
- Represented global companies in internal investigations concerning potential employee misconduct
- Conducted internal investigation of a market-leading nonprofit corporation stemming from allegations of fraud, conspiracy to defraud and breaches of fiduciary duties; advised company in developing a comprehensive corporate compliance program