Diversity and Inclusion
Racial Justice and Equity Task Force
Day Pitney realizes, now more than ever, that we have a role in ending racial injustice, racial inequity and systemic racism. It is not enough to not be racist; we must actively be anti-racist. The recent deaths of George Floyd in Minnesota and Breonna Taylor in Kentucky by police are sadly not isolated incidents, but repeat a pattern of violence against and dehumanization of Black Americans in the United States. We join the calls from people of all backgrounds and communities for meaningful action and change to address the systemic and deep rooted discrimination and racial inequities that communities of color continue to experience.
Day Pitney has formed the Racial Justice and Equity Task Force with the mission to:
- recognize and acknowledge the issues of racial injustice, racial inequity and systemic racism;
- formulate the firm's internal and external affirmative declaration and commitment against racial inequity;
- promote a safe space and opportunity for firm members to share their experiences and perspectives regarding these issues;
- recommend and oversee internal and external actions and initiatives addressing these issues; and
- serve as change agents in effecting measurable and sustained change on these issues within our communities and the legal profession.
The Task Force represents a cross-section of the firm with respect to office location, role, responsibility and experience.
The Task Force will begin its efforts by conducting a comprehensive evaluation of the culture, policies and structures of the firm for opportunities to address issues of racial injustice, racial inequity and systemic racism; and developing and instituting firmwide training and education, and surveying and aligning existing firm programs and platforms to address these issues.
The Task Force welcomes the opportunity to advance the firm's core value of diversity and inclusion, and its goal of transforming our communities into more just, equal and equitable societies.
Please reach out to any of the members on the Task Force or send your questions or comments to the Racial Justice and Equity Task Force.