Diversity and Inclusion
Day Pitney Alliance
Recognizing the unique and sometimes invisible challenges that LGBTQ+ individuals face, Day Pitney formed the Day Pitney Alliance to reflect the firm's commitment to LGBTQ+ dignity and equality, both within and without the firm, and to set an example for leadership in diversity. Membership is open to the entire Day Pitney community, regardless of sexual orientation or role within the firm. With broad support running from Day Pitney's support staff to its executive leadership, the Day Pitney Alliance looks both inward and outward to further the advances – jurisprudential, political and societal – being made toward full acceptance of members of the LGBTQ+ community within our society.
To these ends, the Day Pitney Alliance may:
- Promote the recruitment, retention, and professional development of LGBTQ+ attorneys and staff within Day Pitney, including coordinated mentoring and networking opportunities.
- Coordinate and make recommendations as to the firm's philanthropic outreach, activities and event attendance.
- Identify opportunities to raise Day Pitney's profile as a supporter of LGBTQ+ rights, including identification of and participation in corporate equality surveys.
- Interface with other organizations that support LGBTQ+ rights and opportunities, such as bar associations, affinity groups and civil rights organizations.
- Assist and coordinate with firm personnel in raising internal awareness of LGBTQ+ history, identity and issues, including periodic hosting of speakers or events (e.g., honoring LGBTQ+ Pride month).
- Lobby for LGBTQ+ causes through preparation or joining of amicus briefing and/or through letter-writing or testimony.
- In conjunction with the Pro Bono Committee, identify and facilitate the pro bono representation of LGBTQ+ clients seeking the redress of bias-based grievances.
- Serve as an affinity group for LGBTQ+ members of the Day Pitney community, and provide an opportunity for such individuals to voluntarily self-identify and affiliate.
- Raise concerns common to LGBTQ+ attorneys and employees to firm management.
Day Pitney Alliance is led by a Leadership Committee that includes both Day Pitney attorneys and staff across all of Day Pitney's offices.
Below are some of the Day Pitney Alliance's many activities and initiatives over the years.
|2020||Community Involvement: Joined the HRC Business Coalition for the Equality Act|
|2019||Sponsor: BBA annual Beacon Awards for Diversity & InclusionSponsor: GLAD Spirit of Justice Award Dinner.Speaker: Michael Hermann, Andy Warhol Foundation|
|2018||Community Involvement: Leading supporter of Freedom for All Massachusetts Yes on 3 Campaign to uphold nondiscrimination protections of transgender people in Massachusetts.Community Involvement: Hosted GLAD Equal Justice Counsel Speakers: Jeanne LoCicero, Deputy Legal Director of the ACLU of New Jersey, and Rachel Wainer Apter, Counsel to the Attorney General of New Jersey and former ACLU senior staff attorney, share their experiences working on the Masterpiece Cakeshop case
Speaker: Ellie Krug, activist, author, and lawyer
|2017||Film Screening: "Southwest of Salem"|
|2016||Speaker: Anne Stanback, Director of Strategic Partnerships for the Equality Federation|
|2015||Speaker: Christine Duffy, Pro Bono Partnership, spoke on workplace issues faced by the transgender community|
|2014||Speaker: Beck Bailey, Deputy Director of Employee Engagement for the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, spoke on workplace inclusion|
|2013||Moderated Panel: panelists Cathy Marino-Thomas, Co-President of Marriage Equality USA; Ross Murray, Director of News and Faith Initiatives at GLAAD; Carol Conklin and Janet Peck, plaintiff couples in Connecticut same-sex marriage case; Jo-Ann Shain and Mary Jo Kennedy, plaintiff couple in New York same-sex marriage case; Jon Holden Galluccio along with husband, Michael, Marriage Equality in New Jersey; and moderator Dane Dudley from Day Pitney.|
|2011||Film Screening: "Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin"|
|2010||Speaker: Mary Buonato, Civil Rights Project Director at GLAD|