Michael J. Burwick
Michael Burwick's practice concentrates on counseling broker-dealers, investment advisers, CFTC-regulated entities, and others in the financial services industry in connection with regulatory, compliance, enforcement, litigation and arbitration matters. Michael's practice also includes the representation of issuers and sponsors in public and private offerings, counseling privately held and emerging companies and advising individuals, families and entities in the disposition of highly appreciated assets.
Prior to joining Day Pitney, Michael served as Managing Director of Regulatory Maven, Inc., a compliance consulting firm. Previously, he worked as an attorney at the United States House of Representatives and as an Assistant Attorney General in the State of Florida.
- Successfully defended a registrant in a FINRA arbitration proceeding in which the claimant was seeking in excess of $1 million. Succeeded in obtaining a Motion to Dismiss in favor of the defendant and an expungement of the complaint.
- Successfully represented more than one hundred investors in three real estate syndications that were in imminent danger of losing their properties (collectively valued at more than $100 million) to foreclosure and total loss of principal.
- Represented the largest commercial waterproofing company in the United States in a contract negotiation where the contract was valued at more than $850,000.
- Represented a tax strategy firm before FINRA and the Internal Revenue Service together with two national law firms.
- Conducted a critical review and subsequent reformation of a complex compliance manual for a registered investment adviser.
- Served as outside General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer for one publicly traded healthcare company and as Corporate Counsel and Director of Government Affairs for another publicly traded healthcare company.
- Served as Vice President and General Counsel for a pre-IPO technology firm and as Due Diligence Counsel for a broker-dealer and registered investment adviser.
News, Publications & Presentations
- Presenter, "Equity Crowdfunding Intermediaries: Opportunities and Challenge," CFIRA Webinar, May 1, 2014
- Speaker, REISA Spring Symposium, March 17, 2014
- Co-author, "So You Want to Be a Crowdfunding Portal? Top 10 Traps for the Unwary," National Society of Compliance Professionals Currents Newsletter, February 2014
- Co-author, "Top 10 Traps For The Unwary Crowd-Funding Portal," Law360, January 22, 2014
- Co-author, "So You Want to Be a Crowdfunding Portal? Top 10 Traps for the Unwary," Day Pitney White Paper, January 10, 2014
- Speaker, "2013 Red Flag Seminar," Breard & Associates, Inc., October 24, 2013
- Currently serves as legal expert to the Dr. Gina Loudon Show.
- From 2007 to 2009, was the co-host of "The Financial Consultants with Birnbaum and Burwick," a daily business and public affairs program; has also appeared several times on the Fox News Channel.
- Contributor to The Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics, The New England Real Estate Journal, The New York Real Estate Journal, The Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal, The Jacksonville Business Journal, The Hilton Head Island Packet, Bluffton Today, Parcbench, Forbes, and The American Spectator.
- Quoted in The Atlanta Journal Constitution, The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald and in syndicated columns in WorldNetDaily.
- A regular speaker at legal, accounting and financial services industry events, seminars and workshops including the IMN Conference (New York, NY), TICA / REISA Symposia (Las Vegas, Salt Lake City and San Diego) and The Gathering of Angels (Santa Fe).
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M. in Taxation, 2012
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M. in Securities and Financial Regulation, Dean's List, 2011, CALI Excellence for the Future Award in the Field of Financial Accounting for Attorneys
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 1995
- Boston University, College of Arts and Sciences, B.A., magna cum laude, 1991, with Distinction, 1991, Phi Beta Kappa, Two-time winner of the Diedre H. Symington Sociology Prize
- District of Columbia
- State of Florida
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Boston Bar Association, Financial Services Section
- Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce
- Hyannis Chamber of Commerce
- National Society of Compliance Professionals
- The New England Council, Financial Services Committee
- SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society
- District of Columbia Bar, Corporations, Finance and Securities Section; Tax Section
- State of Florida Bar, Business Law Section; Tax Law Section
- Real Estate Investment Securities Association (REISA)
- YMCA Cape Cod
- Cape Cod Challenger Club
- Cape Abilities
- Autism Speaks
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
- The Jimmy Fund of the Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
- Canines for Disabled Kids
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- The Humane Society of the United States
- The Orbit Village Project
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Hyannis Yacht Club
- The Boston Lawyers Group Mentor Program