Karen E. Spilka
– Of Counsel
Karen Spilka is of counsel in the Corporate and Business Law department and since 2005 has served as a state senator for the 2nd Middlesex and Norfolk District in Massachusetts. From November 2001 until 2004, she was a member of the House of Representatives, and before beginning her legislative career worked in the public and private sectors in Massachusetts as a labor and employment attorney, a mediator, and an arbitrator. Karen was recently appointed Senate Majority Whip, and serves as Senate Chair of both the BioTech Legislative Caucus and Tech Hub Legislative Caucus. She is also currently on the Governor's STEM Advisory Council and STEM Goddard Council. As prior Chair of the Joint Committee on Economic Development and Emerging Technologies, she conducted a yearlong statewide listening tour visiting key businesses in the state and is chief author of major economic development and regulatory reform legislation. She was instrumental in the passage of legislation on clean energy and broadband. Karen recently served as Senate Chair of the Jobs Creation Commission. She has extensive experience with conflict and dispute resolution and has also worked as a social worker for children with special needs and their families.
News, Publications & Presentations
- Featured, "Senator Karen Spilka, Of Counsel at Day Pitney, Named a MacArthur Foundation Champion for Change," Day Pitney Press Release, January 8, 2014
- Featured, "Karen E. Spilka Receives MA Legislator of the Year Award," Day Pitney Press Release, March 8, 2013
- Featured, "Massachusetts State Senator Karen E. Spilka Joins Day Pitney," Day Pitney Press Release, February 26, 2013
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D.
- Cornell University, B.S.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 2012 BioTech Legislator of the Year Award, BIO International Convention
- Recipient of first William J. Fallon Fellowship. Ms. Spilka Served as the first Fallon Fellow in an intensive apprenticeship program established by members of the National Academy of Arbitrators involving all aspects of the labor arbitration process and alternative dispute resolution.
- Awarded the 2013 Citizen Laureate Award by Framingham State University