William T. Baker, Jr.
– Of Counsel
Mr. Baker advises energy and public utility clients, and focuses his practice on corporate matters, particularly those regarding financing, restructuring and corporate governance, as well as regulatory and policy issues.
Mr. Baker has been recognized as a leading energy and natural resources lawyer, as well as the senior statesman in New York, in the 2008-2012 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
and Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers.
Prior to joining Day Pitney, Mr. Baker was senior counsel at a large international law firm. He was previously a partner at Thelen LLP, and its predecessor, Reid & Priest LLP, where he concentrated on energy and utility corporate, regulatory and policy matters and held leadership positions, including chair of the firm and its executive committee during the late 1980s and early 1990s. He also served as chair of its Energy Policy and Regulatory group from the early 1990s until Thelen's dissolution in 2008.
News, Publications & Presentations
- Featured, "Seventy Day Pitney Lawyers Named to 2015 Best Lawyers List," Day Pitney Press Release, August 22, 2014
- Featured, "Chambers USA 2014 Names 46 Day Pitney Attorneys 'Leading Lawyers for Business,'" Day Pitney Press Release, May 23, 2014
- Featured, "Seventy Day Pitney Lawyers Named to 2014 Best Lawyers List," Day Pitney Press Release, August 15, 2013
- Featured, "Chambers USA 2013 Names 39 Day Pitney Attorneys 'Leading Lawyers for Business,'" Day Pitney Press Release, May 24, 2013
- Quoted, "Order 1000: Driving Transmission Investment In The United States," Financier Worldwide, May 1, 2013
- Featured, "Ninety-eight Day Pitney Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers," Day Pitney Press Release, October 22, 2012
- Featured, "Seventy-Five Day Pitney Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers List for 2013," Day Pitney Press Release, August 23, 2012
- Featured, "Chambers USA 2012 Names 41 Day Pitney Attorneys 'Leading Lawyers for Business'," Day Pitney Press Release, June 8, 2012
- Featured, "Day Pitney Nabs Former Thelen Energy Pro," Law360, October 7, 2011
- "The Financing Options for New Transmission," Law360, August 23, 2010
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1968
- Yale University, B.A., cum laude, 1965
- State of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association, Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Law Section; Committee on Infrastructure Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions; vice chair, 2004-present
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, member
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Subcommittee on Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935, chairman, 1994-2006
- Energy Bar Association, member
- Bar Association for the City of New York, member
- Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935 Counsel Group, chairman, 1994-2006
- Edison Electric Institute Legal Committee, chairman, 1997-2000
- Board of Directors, Lynn Chase Wildlife Foundation
- Board of Directors, Housatonic Valley Association