Greg H. Kahn
Greg is Counsel in the Corporate and Business Law department. Greg advises a variety of investment management clients, including family offices, private equity funds, hedge funds, pension funds, fund of funds, independent sponsors, venture capital funds, broker-dealers and their investors, sponsors and principals with a variety of transactional and regulatory compliance areas, including M&A, equity and debt financings, joint ventures as well as employment and compensation arrangements for principals and senior executives. He also counsels corporate clients in their investment, transactional and corporate governance activities, including M&A, equity and debt financings, joint ventures, and founder and key employee compensation arrangements. Prior to joining Day Pitney, he served as Partner and General Counsel of a lower middle-market private equity sponsor that he co-founded which made control investments in small, privately-held businesses, focusing on distressed and special situations investments.
Greg has also served as General Counsel of an international alternative asset manager with offices in the U.S., Europe and Asia and over $2 billion of assets under management. He was responsible for all day-to-day legal functions of the group's SEC-registered investment adviser, affiliated FINRA member broker-dealer and its offshore funds and managed account platform. Greg negotiated, structured, drafted and closed various liquid and illiquid transactions in the U.S., Europe and Asia across the capital structure, including distressed debt, mezzanine debt, venture capital, private equity and hedge fund seed capital investments. He also oversaw global compliance activities in conjunction with the chief compliance officer. On the broker-dealer side, Greg was actively involved in the expansion of the placement agent and M&A advisory business, including opening offices in Beijing, San Francisco and New York City. He successfully managed SEC, CFTC and FINRA audits and examinations.
Greg was previously associated with Paul, Weiss focusing on private M&A, corporate finance and securities work. He was actively involved in closing transactions with an aggregate value exceeding $10 billion. He represented many large private equity funds in their varied transactional activities and served as regular portfolio company counsel.
News, Publications & Presentations
- Co-author, "New General Solicitation Rules Impact On Private Funds," Day Pitney White Paper, December 23, 2013
- Quoted, "Hedge funds, this months, get to advertise for first time," Stamford Advocate, September 6, 2013
- Co-author, "SEC Makes Fundamental Changes to Private Capital-Raising Rules," VC Experts, July 31, 2013
- Co-author, "SEC Makes Fundamental Changes to Private Capital-Raising Rules," Day Pitney Alert, July 15, 2013
- Co-author, "The Private Equity Fund Managers' Dilemma: Register as Broker-Dealers or (Potentially) Cease Collecting Fees for 'Investment Banking Activities'?" VC Experts, May 23, 2013
- Co-author, "SEC focusing on B-D registration issues for private-fund managers," Investment News, May 12, 2013
- Co-author, "Increased SEC Focus on Broker-Dealer Registration Issues for Private Fund Managers," Day Pitney Alert, April 12, 2013
- Co-author, "SEC Finds Fault with Adviser Custody Practices," Day Pitney Alert, March 8, 2013
- Co-author, "CFTC No-Action Relief for Funds-of-Funds," Day Pitney Alert, December 11, 2012
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2000
- Emory University, B.A., Dean's List, 1994
- State of New York
- State of Connecticut
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association