Paul N. Belval
Paul Belval's practice involves transactions relating to power projects and energy and water companies. Paul is chair of the firm's Renewable Energy and Energy Project Development and Finance practice groups. Paul has represented developers, investors, equipment suppliers, and power purchasers involved in a variety of renewable power and fossil fuel facilities, including the development, financing, and restructuring of those facilities. Paul drafted the contracts and operating rules for the NEPOOL Generation Information System (GIS) and has counseled the operators of other renewable energy credit trading systems in the development of those systems. Paul has also represented the firm's water company clients in a number of governmental and private financings and other transactions.
- Negotiated and drafted multiple power purchase agreements for offshore wind facilities in the Northeast.
- Counsel to lenders to geothermal projects in loans totaling $445 million that were guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Energy under Section 1705 of the ARRA.
- Representing New England utility in various power and REC purchase agreements throughout its service area involving landfill gas, hydroelectric and anaerobic digester projects.
- Counsel to water utility in tax-exempt bond, first mortgage bond and unsecured financings, including related state regulatory proceedings.
- Serving as Assistant Secretary to NEPOOL, with responsibility for financial aspects of its operation.
News, Publications & Presentations
- Featured, "Paul Belval Elected President of Northeast Energy and Commerce Association," Day Pitney Press Release, December 17, 2013
- Featured, "Eighty-eight Day Pitney Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers for 2013," Day Pitney Press Release, October 22, 2013
- Featured, "Seventy Day Pitney Lawyers Named to 2014 Best Lawyers List," Day Pitney Press Release, August 15, 2013
- Co-Author, "Massachusetts DOER Issues Emergency Solar Regulations," Day Pitney Alert, July 2, 2013
- Co-author, "New Opportunities In The Burgeoning Mass. Solar Market," Law360, June 25, 2013
- Co-author, "MA Proposes Regulations to Expand In-State Solar Generation," Day Pitney Alert, June 10, 2013
- Co-author, "Governor Malloy Signs Connecticut Clean Energy Bill," Day Pitney Alert, June 6, 2013
- Co-author, "Massachusetts Solar Carve-Out Program Reaches 400 MW Cap 4 Years Early," Day Pitney Alert, May 30, 2013
- Featured, "Chambers USA 2013 Names 39 Day Pitney Attorneys 'Leading Lawyers for Business,'" Day Pitney Press Release, May 24, 2013
- Speaker, "Overview and Update on the Ever-Evolving New England Wholesale Capacity Market," Boston Bar Association, May 23, 2013
- Featured, "Ninety-eight Day Pitney Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers," Day Pitney Press Release, October 22, 2012
- Speaker, "Identifying and Mitigating Risks in REC Agreements," EUCI Conference, October 10-11, 2012
- Co-author, "FTC Issues Final Revised Green Guides," Day Pitney Alert, October 1, 2012
- Moderator, "Following the Money: Economic Consequences of Policy Choices," 19th Annual New England Energy Conference and Exposition, May 8, 2012
- Speaker, "Developing A Renewable Energy Project in 2012: Financing, Incentives, Credits, Interconnections, Contracts & Complexities Lawyers Need to Know," Boston Bar Association, April 25, 2012
- Co-author, "How Green Is My Rooftop?" Connecticut Law Tribune, March 5, 2012
- Quoted, "Critic says utilities sell renewable energy credits out of state, double count value of 'green' electricity," VTDigger.org, January 9, 2012
- Speaker, "Power Purchase Agreements: How they differ with the type of resource," Energy in the Northeast Conference, Law Seminars International, September 26-27, 2011
- Speaker, "Funding Solar Development: Opportunities in the Northeast," Solar Connecticut, May 17, 2011
- Co-author, "Using power purchase agreements to address uncertainty in offshore wind projects," Financier Worldwide, 2011
- Moderator, "Contractual and Financing Issues for Renewable Projects," Boston, MA, March 1, 2007
- Speaker, "Successful Restructuring Strategies for Troubled Renewable Energy Projects," Boston, MA, March 1, 2006
- Speaker, "RECs, RTOs and RPSs: The Three Rs of Renewable Energy," ABA Renewable Energy Resource Committee Conference, December 14, 2005
- "The Green Controversy," Public Utilities Fortnightly, November 1, 2002
- "Plenty of Power, But Out of Gas: How Lenders to Power Plants Can Protect Against Project Insolvency," Project Finance Monthly, November 2000
- Pace University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1989, note and comment editor, Pace Law Review
- University of Massachusetts, B.A., cum laude, 1984
- State of Connecticut
- State of New York
- Northeast Energy and Commerce Association, President
- American College of Investment Counsel, fellow
- Energy Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association, Public Utility Law Section
- American Bar Association, Section of Public Utility, Communication and Transportation Law, Renewable Energy Resource Committee
- Connecticut Bar Foundation, James W. Cooper Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Greater Hartford Legal Aid Foundation, Board of Directors 2005-present; Vice President 2009-2011; President, 2011-2013
- Greater Hartford Legal Aid, Inc., Board of Directors 2013-present
- Christ Church Cathedral, Hartford, CT, Chancellor, 2006-2012