Day Pitney relies on a strong professional and support staff to provide the foundation that enables our attorneys to succeed. We employ professionals in the following areas:
- Technology/Information Services
- Human Resources & Recruiting
We also employ legal professionals the following areas and positions:
- Litigation Technology
- Legal Administrative Assistant
In the spirit of the firm's Client Service Initiative, we strive to attract individuals with a high customer aptitude, strong desire to succeed, and the ability to be proactive and add value to their day to day work relationships.
Marketing and Business Development Specialist (All Offices)Position Summary:
AmLaw 200 law firm is seeking a full-time Marketing and Business Development Specialist to provide broad support for all the firm’s marketing and business development activities, including pitches and proposals, collateral development, marketing technology and event planning.
The position requires exceptionally strong communication, writing and editing skills and attention to detail. The ability to coordinate multiple projects, with varying and changing priorities, and to meet tight deadlines is imperative. Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively and possess a strong service orientation.Responsibilities:
- Drafting, proofreading and editing marketing and business development copy, including practice area descriptions, matters lists, invitations and attorney biographies
- General marketing and business development support as necessary, including creating PowerPoint presentations and Excel-driven charts/graphs
- Assembling pitch materials and assisting in the development, drafting and tracking of RFPs/proposals
- Confirming that proposals meet submission requirements and ensuring proper, timely delivery
- Maintaining the proposal language and matter library
- Taking the lead on research projects
- Coordinating the preparation and distribution of external communications, including client alerts, newsletters and invitations
- Drafting and reviewing internal communications and posting them on the firm's internal website
- Contributing and assisting in the development of firm wide marketing database transactions and matters databases and electronic library of pitch components
- Assisting with event planning activities
- Coordinating special projects as assigned and providing basic research and data collection for those projects
- Helping to coordinate internal attorney training programs, including assisting with the creation and tracking of training files and related matters
- Assisting with the collection and maintenance of information for client team action plans and other deliverables
- Providing occasional administrative support to the marketing team’s managers
- Helping monitor the firm's presence on social networking sites (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+)
- Assisting in the ongoing maintenance of the firm's CRM system; managing mailing lists for marketing campaigns and running reports as needed
- Assisting with the preparation, testing and distribution of external email marketing campaigns utilizing the firm's electronic mailing software platform
- B.A./B.S. required. Major in journalism, English, public relations or similar preferred
- Professional work experience
- Professional services/law firm experience strongly preferred
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented; productive without compromising quality
- Organizational skills; ability to prioritize tasks and manage multi-stage projects
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Excel; knowledge of databases, CRM systems and e-mail marketing software a plus
Application Support Specialist (Hartford)Position Summary:
The Application Support Specialist will be responsible for the design, customization, support andmaintenance of Finance, Accounting and other systems for one of the top law firms in the Northeast. This position will provide technical as well as application specific training and guidance to end users in multiple office locations. Under general supervision, the individual will identify and perform application customizations, mass data updates, application upgrades and software troubleshooting. This successful candidate will have a high level of interpersonal and technical skills, must enjoy staying abreast of new technologies in the Microsoft arena including SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS, and Business Intelligence as well as posses analytical capabilities and have a passion for providing the best service to end users.Specific Responsibilities:
- Provides primary technical support for the firm’s accounting system, currently Aderant Expert
- Prioritizes, identifies, researches and resolves technical problems
- Develops customizations to the firm’s applications, including reports, inquiries, data lookups and views
- Tests all customizations to ensure application functionality and data validity
- Coordinates, documents and manages software upgrades
- Manages application security
- Program, develop, document and support financial reporting requirements
- Team with staff and management to design, document and implement new business processes
- Document application customizations in such a way that the firm is able to identify the current status of the application, its underlying infrastructure and utilize the documentation as a basis for training curriculum development
- Troubleshoot application errors and coordinate vendor support where necessary
- Assist in managing Financial Databases including security, backup and recovery functions
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems/Computer Science or Accounting/Finance with relevant work experience in Information Systems Support Role
- At least two years experience in a Financial/Accounting Systems Support Role
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Required knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server, Transact SQL, Stored Procedures and Views
- Proficiency with SQL Reporting Services
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Detail Oriented
- Experience with VB/VBA, scripting languages
- Financial/Accounting background
- Experience with Microsoft SSIS
- Law-firm experience
- Familiarity with the following systems: Aderant Expert, CMS, DTE, Axiom, PSShip, Expert Image, ARCS, Sage FAS, Lynchmarks, Sharepoint, Metastorm, DTI, Mobility, iManage, HotDocs
Director of Business Development (All Offices)Position Description
The Director of Business Development is responsible for developing and executing business development and marketing strategies for the Firm and its practices. The occupant of this position reports to the Chief Operating Officer/Chief Financial Officer, works closely with the Executive Committee, the Firm-wide business development committee and the Firm's attorneys, and leads a team of business development and marketing professionals.
The position will be based in one of Day Pitney's offices but the Director of Business Development has Firm-wide responsibilities and will be expected to travel frequently to other Day Pitney offices.Job Responsibilities
Job Requirements and Experience
- Serves a critical role in developing and executing the Firm's overall business development plan commensurate with the Firm's strategy
- Administers, as well as participates in, the Firm's Client Visit Program
- Collaborates closely with the Firm-wide business development committee, especially its co-chairs, and the three department chairs in prioritizing the business development initiatives and action items at the Firm
- Sharpens the Firm's focus on the list of existing clients for potential expansion and targets for new business
- Ensures time and effort of the business development and marketing resources in the Firm are concentrated on the Firm's highest priorities
- Coordinates with the COO/CFO and Executive Committee on the Firm's business development budget
- In coordination with Professional Development, Diversity and Human Resources, designs and manages an appropriate business development training platform for all attorneys
- Oversees all other marketing activities, including media relations, events, communications, branding, sponsorships, electronic marketing, social media, RFP's, research, etc.
- Collaborates with practice groups and offices to develop consistent client-focused marketing and communications strategies; assists attorneys with business development efforts, RFPs and other client-facing initiatives
- Manages the marketing and business development staff and related outside resources
- Monitors the external environment and competition for developments that may affect Day Pitney
- Participates in the preparation of strategic proposals and pitches for business
- More than ten years of demonstrated success in business development and marketing, including significant experience with professional services firms, and proven ability to lead and manage a complex marketing function.
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant field. A secondary degree (e.g., Masters, MBA or JD) is highly desired.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience; excellent team building and management exposure in a growing and changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to raise the business development and marketing functions to a strategic level and to spearhead creative and thoughtful marketing approaches.
- Proven ability to build consensus and support within the Firm for the marketing function and its role in helping the Firm compete in a consolidating and increasingly competitive marketplace.
- Familiarity and comfort with legal and professional services, including development, trends, analysis, technology and literature; strong familiarity with basic legal concepts.
- Demonstrated experience in a changing culture, with change management and capability assessment skills to lead and inspire others to reach an articulated strategic vision; a leader who creates loyalty, trust and following and who has experience in energizing people and teams, and making cross-functional cooperation happen.
- Outstanding interpersonal, verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Highly successful relationship builder, able to create and maintain effective partnerships within the Firm and with third parties.
- Ability to partner and collaborate effectively within a senior management team and other Firm leadership to determine, establish and meet strategic objectives.
Trusts and Estates Administration Paralegal (Stamford)Position Summary
A trusts and estates administration paralegal must be a self-starter and detail oriented, able to work independently and be responsible for and meet all deadlines, and be willing to work in a team environment. Because much of the work is in the areas of accounting and taxes, this individual must have good mathematical skills, possess good computer skills, and be conscientious and careful. Generally, the position covers all areas of trust and estate administration as well as fiduciary accounting.Job Responsibilities
- Gathering, identifying and valuation of assets
- Drafting correspondence, bills and various probate documents
- Preparation of death tax returns, including the federal estate tax return and the Connecticut succession and estate tax returns, as well as returns for other states
- Preparation of probate accountings for both the estate and trusts
- Preparation of federal and state individual and fiduciary income tax returns
- Preparation of federal and state gift tax returns, and possibly returns of private foundations, partnerships and miscellaneous other returns
- Ability to review and interpret wills and trust agreements and implement the plan during the estate and trust administration process
- Prepare and implement an income tax plan for the estate during administration
- Although attorneys generally research issues of law, the paralegal must be able to use reference materials such as the Internal Revenue Code and Regulations, CCH Capital Changes Reporter, Moody’s Dividend Record, etc.
- Interact with, and show compassion to, clients who may have suffered the loss of a loved one or are under a great deal of stress, bank and brokerage house representatives, and individuals in the office.
- Bachelor's degree
- 5 or more years of experience
- Law firm experience
Intellectual Property ("IP") Docket Specialist (Stamford)Position Summary
The Docket is a critical tool for the management of an intellectual property practice. In addition to qualified docketing personnel, the full cooperation of the lawyers, paralegals, legal administrative assistants, and other staff is required to ensure that clients' rights are carefully preserved, according to their instructions.
Day Pitney uses a web-based computerized patent docket system from CPI and a web-based computerized trademark docket system from IPPO, called WebTMs (the "IP Docket"). The IP Docket Specialist will work under general supervision of the Firm’s IP Practice Group and Coordinator will be committed to and accountable for the timely
entry and removal of all information relating to matters being maintained on the Firm IP Docket.Job Responsibilities
The IP Docket Specialist plays a vital role in the success of the IP Practice Group. The IP Docket Specialist is a critical and visible team member, with the utmost attention to detail and the strictest standards for accurate record keeping. The responsibilities for the IP Docket Specialist include:
- Accurately track and enter all incoming international and domestic IP-related mail into the Firm IP Docket, namely, the timely and accurate entering and updating of information as it is received, including removing items from the docket upon completion of the task and managing any necessary follow up.
- Track statutory actions and associated reminders/deadlines.
- Obtain patent documents from PAIR at US PTO.
- Maintain up-to-date and current IP Docket Records by reviewing incoming and outgoing correspondence and filings and providing detailed accounts in the IP Docket.
- Communicate with all time-keepers, including supervising attorneys and paralegals, responsible for IP matters maintained in the Firm IP Docket regarding impending deadlines and required actions for proper maintenance.
- Adhere to established protocols for maintaining the integrity of the data in the Firm IP Docket.
- Work with the IP Coordinator to implement and maintain standard docketing procedures.
- Alert practitioners and staff in the IP Group of upcoming deadlines and ensure timely action.
- Keep abreast of changes in laws impacting IP domestically and internationally.
- Assist with Special Projects including: New Portfolio Intake; Auditing existing Records; File transfer requests (in and out); General Docket clean-up/conversation and maintenance projects, as needed.
- Organize and update IP records converted from prior docketing systems.
- Prepare, generate and distribute weekly and monthly reports, and on an as requested basis.
- Clear the IP Docket on a daily basis by following-up with practitioners regarding deadlines.
- Must have five years prior patent docketing experience.
- Must have current patent and trademark prosecution docketing experience.
- Experience with patent/trademark docketing systems (CPI strongly preferred), and domestic and international trademark prosecution procedures.
- Expertise in searching online databases regarding U.S. and foreign trademark record.
- Must have a sense of commitment to growth and success of the IP Practice Group by maintaining the integrity of the Firm IP Docket.
- Qualified candidates must possess a strong sense of urgency and accountability regarding information on and relating to the IP Docket, including due dates, organization of files and documents. Candidates should have a strong commitment to customer service and display a pleasant demeanor.
- The successful candidate must be detailed-oriented and work well in a fast-paced setting. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a must. Candidate must be able to work overtime on occasion.
Applications Manager (Parsippany)Position Description:
- Provide leadership and direction in the areas of applications development, implementation, support, enterprise systems and data architecture.
- Provide direction for future technology and applications projects. Establish priorities and software strategies consistent with business needs of the Firm.
- Provide leadership in evaluation, analysis, development and implementation of third party and custom-developed software applications and systems.
- Establish, manage and maintain relationships with other IT groups, key project and business stakeholders, and functional areas.
- Mentor, develop and recruit staff. Conduct performance reviews, implement discipline, provide training.
- Oversee applications software budgets, maintain vendor relationships, participate in contract review and negotiations.
- Implement IT best practices in the areas of applications development, application systems disaster recovery, application security, change control, and others.
Knowledge, Experience and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in information systems, computer science or related discipline.
- Technical certifications a plus
- Five (5) years of experience supporting enterprise applications and custom application development in a Sr. Application Engineer capacity with two (2) years of direct supervisory experience in a management administrative capacity at a law firm.
- Knowledge and prior experience developing software applications using Microsoft technologies (.Net, SQL scripting, MS Sharepoint, Metastorm BPM, etc.)
- Knowledge and experience with enterprise systems, including iManage (Worksite/Filesite), SQL Servers, Deployment systems (SCCM) Litera, Aderant Expert, etc.
- Required working knowledge of XenApp 5.x/6.x and XenDesktop.
- Thorough understanding of AD, GPO and Citrix profile management.
- Knowledge and experience in budgeting, contracting, and vendor management.
- Experience managing complex cross-functional projects. PM training preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools, including Excel, Word, Access, MS Project and Visio
- Good understanding of software development methodologies and life cycle.
- Demonstrated track record building strong Applications teams.
- Strong communication skills. Ability to effectively present information.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work
- Previous law firm experience required